3.02.2016

Guest Room Reveal

I've always loved having a guest room, a place for company to relax and stretch out when they visit. A door they can close so they don't feel like they have to make their beds everyday or pick up their small space. Just a space that is theirs for the time they are guests in our home. But with each baby born to our family, the guest room was constantly turned into the newest nursery. With the purchase of our current home, I was very adamant that it would have an extra bedroom for guests and I'm so happy with the end result. I hope our guests enjoy it as much as we do. 


A refreshing pallet of paint on the walls. White behind the headboards, which my handy hubby made and are adhered directly into the studs. The shelf used to be black, hubs made that too, and is actually two shelves that we hung together to make one long one in this house. The bedside tables were from my parents, I still need to paint those. The twin beds can easily be pushed together to make one big bed or they can be kept separate if guest want their own sleeping space. 


This sweet sign and paper wreath, I picked up from a really cool antique shop in West Virginia for a steal, it's rather large and I just fell in love with the quote. The vintage cards, that spell out Be Our Guest, I sat directly onto the shelf. They are from my Great Aunt's teaching days. 


 Grey T-Shirt Sheets from Restoration Hardware Outlet and a simple white Quilt from Target. The ends of the beds are also adorned with a fuzzy grey throw blanket from Restoration Hardware and if you wait until after the holidays, you can snag them on sale! 


An old mirror from the Old Luckett's Store in Leesburg, VA, it had already been painted...total win! 
Simple white curtains from IKEA, the room is in the basement and has one egress window. The blinds are dark and I wanted to keep the rest of the room relaxing and bright. The other walls beside the headboard wall are all painted Gray Frost D57-3, I love how the color changes throughout the day. Sometimes it looks more gray and other times more blue. 


The white metal holder I picked up from TJ Max and spray painted it white. It was turquoise and although pretty, not the right color for the space I needed it. All of the hats are from my Great Aunt. I picked up the vintage curling iron at a small antique shop in Austin, TX. And the bottom left photos are my parents Senior portraits. Aren't they cute?!


The old trunk has been handed down through my family. Not sure if it belong to my Great Aunt or my Great Grandparents. The black shoes were my Great Aunts however, she always wore heels, even in her 90's. I printed out our wifi user name and password so it would be easy for our guests to find. The jar is filled with old wooden spools, hat pins and tatting items. Some have been passed down from family, others I've picked up here and there at antique shops.


The metal key hook used to be dark, I spray painted it and by accident moved it before it was dry....some of the paint smeared off so I took a rag and wiped off a bit more to give it that vintage appeal. The tiny outfit was my older brothers. 


My Great Aunt used to teach all of her students to play the xylophone.  She used to play a much larger one with 4 sticks at a time and was even on the radio. A fun bit of history! I thought it would be fun to hang on the wall with the rest of the vintage goodies.


I most recently acquired this trunk, it was already painted white with the lid painted shut but not a problem since I just wanted it for guests to put their luggage on. 

I hope you enjoyed the guest room reveal, what was your favorite bit? 

7 comments:

Callie said...

What a lovely, relaxing space for your visitors! I love it.

Paula said...

What a beautiful room. I love the quote picture above the bed also. And "Be our guest" is so whimsical and inviting. Great job!

Unknown said...

Love the rustic headboards your husband made!

rlo said...

So pretty! I can see you put a lot of love into this and I think it's great how you all these items from family members used in your decorations!! Wonderful job! Thanks for linking up at the Home Matters Linky Party!

DIY Crush Blog said...

Great room, love it! Thanks for sharing at my craft party again!! I pinned it and hope you'll stop by again this coming Thursday!

Jane @ urbanejane. said...

Hi Dawn! BEAUTIFUL guest room! I love all of the sentimental vintage touches… I would just sit and stare at all the pretty details if I were there! Love it all :)

Theresa said...

I love how your room turned out! Thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight party! Shared. Hope to see you again soon.